https://kiltandcork.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/scotch-broth-scaled.jpg 2560 2560 admin https://kiltandcork.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/new-logo_text_340.png admin2020-12-18 12:27:162020-12-18 12:27:16Scotch Broth/Beef and Barley Stew
Scotch Broth/Beef and Barley Stew
Scotch Broth (Beef and Barley Soup)
A hearty meal for those cold winter evenings
- Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
- 1.5 lb beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 oz wild or baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup rough diced celery
- 2/3 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 cup rough diced carrots
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups rich beef broth
- 12 oz stout ale (Belhaven or Guiness will work!)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large potato, shredded
- Open a stout and pour into a pint glass, drink and enjoy! Set yout Instant Pot to "saute" Slainte!
- Season the stew meat with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoon of butter in a large pot over medium-high heat or in the instant pot on Saute. Add stew meat and brown on all sides for about 2-3 minutes total. You may need to do in two batches if so add more butter as needed.
- Add the mushroom to the pot and brown the mushrooms for 1-2 minutes or until they start picking up the brown bits left behind by the meat. Remove the mushrooms to the same plate as the stew meat.
- If needed, add a little more butter to the pot and the celery, carrot and onion mix. Cook the veggies for 4-5 minutes or until the onions soften and become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Using a Slow Cooker: Add the meat, mushrooms, veggies, bay leaves, thyme sprig, beef broth and stout to the slow cooker and allow to cook for 3 hours on High or 5 hours on Low.
- Instant Pot: Add the meat, mushrooms, veggies, bay leaves, thyme sprig, beef broth and stout to the instant pot, cover and pressure cook for 15 minutes, allow pressure to release before removing the lid.
- Both Methods: Add the shredded potato and the barley and allow the stew to cook on High on the slow cooker (Slow Cook on the Insta Pot, I know, weird!) for 1 hour or until the barley and potato is cooked through. Serve with warm crusty bread, soft butter and a few stouts!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!